This is an entry-level technical position to help build a new community wi-fi network in Charlotte’s West Boulevard Corridor, offering home internet connection to local residents. We will train you on network configuration and making/installing low-voltage structured cable, as well as repairing, troubleshooting, planning, modification and design. The technician will serve customers by installing and servicing wireless systems and associated equipment.
The ideal individual will have a desire to learn and understand Google Earth, awillingness to get dirty, and on-the-spot problem solving ability.
Starting pay: $15/hour
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is partnering with Open Broadband to develop a local Wireless Internet Service Provider network to serve the West Boulevard Community. Wi-fi technicians will receive on-the-job training from and report to Open Broadband.
This job might be for you if:
- You love your community and want to serve your neighbors
- You are a little bit geeky, a little bit misfit, and a lot curious
- You are adaptable and love to learn new things, especially in a team environment
- You are comfortable speaking up, asking questions, and getting it wrong
- You are the person people come to when a problem needs to be solved
- You aren’t afraid of heights and you are cool with the critters (insects, bees, etc.)
- You don’t get claustrophobic crawling in tight, dark spaces
- You can lift at least 50 pounds, work outside no matter the weather, and carry/climb/operate an extension ladder
Ready to help your community access the internet?
Please complete the application today! Visit bit.ly/wisptechapp to apply.
Candidate screenings will take place on a rolling basis, beginning the week of July 5; the first orientation session will begin on August 2.